Monday, December 20, 2010

Antiques furniture experience for the keeps

This is a true story here. When I didn’t ask the permission of my grandmother when I took her vintage curtains that was a bad, bad idea. Antiques and vintage, they are one of a kind finds and even if I searched all the antiques furniture in town, I wouldn’t find the same item. So that was an epic fail when I lost the curtains.

It was a bright sunny day and I was in a very good mood to hunt furniture for the set of our upcoming theater play, The Merchant of Venice. To my delight I knew exactly whom to look for and it was Granny Lolita. She has all sorts of beautiful antique furniture. Not that I would borrow them for all the production design, I just wanted her opinion on what would fit the time setting of the screenplay. Our director made a special request to have regal items, so it called for antique brass, antique silver and antique table and antique glass. Even the character Portia required antique jewelry! And I wouldn’t mind if Granny offered some help…but to my dismay she wasn’t around. She took a trip to visit her amigas and play endless mahjongg out of town.

Still, my wide eye wonder made me seek out from her stuff. And I found these golden brocade curtains that she sometimes asks the helpers to put up for special occasions. It would drape lovingly against the length of the window. From floor to ceiling it was shimmering splendid. Immediately, I thought it was perfect for the set! I took them from the drawer thinking I’d return them right after the play runs. Of course, I lost them and I had to tell her when she got back. She threw a huge fit and wouldn’t talk to me. She explained how she painstakingly obtained the vintage item from an antique shop and how she’s planning to put it on antique auctions since it has doubled its value over time and then I just lost it. I doubt I’ll ever get another set as grand as those because antique stores offer a different kind; no item is ever the same! It saddened me also. I couldn’t blame her for being mad.

To ease her feelings over the lost of her precious, I thanked her because the curtains did justice to the set… I apologized. She accepted, after all, I am pretty sure I am her favorite grandchild. Kidding there! She even hypothesized on how it got lost! She said it could have scrambled up with all the other set materials after the play. And anyone who would find the item will treat it as a treasure and might hand it over to antiques dealers or sell it to an antique mall owner. Maybe it was her own way of coping up for her lost…lost vintage golden brocade drape curtains.
But I made a promise to myself that when I could finally pay for her hobby of collecting antique furniture; I’d take her to every antiques shops or antiques mall she would please. I mean, who knows we might end up being reunited with those curtains from an antique shop, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment